Here are a few items that really improve my productivity — Check ’em out!
- Adobe Creative Cloud for many of my development projects (including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Pro, and Dreamweaver).
- TeuxDeux to-do list manager for keeping track of the million-and-one tasks I need to remember.
- LastPass for remembering logins (and I have quite a few to keep track of…).
- MailChimp and Constant Contact for Newsletter creation.
- Crashplan for offsite file backup.
- WordPress for websites and blogs.
- Genesis Framework for WordPress by Studio Press, to get the most out of WordPress.
- Transmit for FTP file transfer (Mac only)
- Appointlet for managing online scheduling and displaying calendar availability
Hosting & Domain Registration
There are a number of capable hosting/registration companies out there, but when given the opportunity to make a recommendation to clients, I choose GoDaddy. Many offer similar features, products and pricing, but GoDaddy wins out when it comes to their excellent 24/7 tech support team. When I have problems that need solving, I want someone who will take the time to listen, will figure out the options, and help me get the job done. I’m one of those techies who often works late at night, and it makes all the difference to know that someone is always available to solve my problems. In addition, I have a few internal contacts there who have been very helpful arranging discounts for large-volume transactions.
If you’re a local client (in the Fremont/East Bay area), check out Aria Printing & Shipping in Mission San Jose. I’ve been using their services to print marketing collateral (brochures, tickets, invitations, signs, you-name-it) for over ten years. Helpful, friendly staff, great turnaround, and they support all of the software I use to create print materials. I know the online printers are cheaper (but not by much). With Aria, I can call and say “I’m sending the files, can you print a proof copy?” Then I email the files, and 5 minutes later can drive over, see the proof, make adjustments (their staff can often do them on my files), and away we go.
For stock photos and illustrations, my vendor of choice is iStockphoto. I have accounts at several major photo libraries, but like this one best. I buy credits in large quantity, so can purchase on behalf of clients and save them a few bucks.
If you’re looking for head shots, I love Kristina Rust, who did my photos. She even posted a blog item about my photo shoot. Enthusiastic, professional, everything I could have hoped for, and more! Through the initial contact by email, the phone planning sessions, and the actual photo shoot, she was friendly, patient, supportive
If you’re in the market for professional real estate or commercial/business photos, contact Scott Capen, here in Fremont. Real estate photography takes a special set of skills, given the marketing angle and how the photos are used. Scott has many years of experience both in the Real Estate world and as a photographer.