Collective Discovery® provides a variety of services focused on website design, development and maintenance, as well as compatible print and process projects for web clients.
- WordPress design — you’re looking for a custom design, a re-design of your existing site, or a migration to WordPress.
- WordPress Care Plans — once your WordPress site exists, it’s a constant task of care and nurturing, and you need someone to keep it all on track. Care Plans cover back-end maintenance tasks and site updates.
- Complete website audits — you already have a site and just need an objective analysis to produce a punch list of items you can address on your own. I have developed a comprehensive process that results in a many-page list of details assessed, and opportunities for improvement.
- Hourly consulting — you’re managing the site on your own but have run into a sticky technical issue, and need an expert for targeted consultation and problem-solving.
If you’re looking for a robust Content Management System (CMS) to create your website, I highly recommend WordPress. Among the advantages of using WordPress:
- Non-programmers can often handle simple text edits and maintenance after the site has been launched
- Development time can be shorter than a traditional HTML website, as we start from available themes. A simple website can be up and running in a matter of hours
- WordPress is the most popular CMS out there — over 30% of all websites in the world are built on this platform
- As a popular system, there are many developers able to support sites, and they are constantly providing new features and plug-ins
- Your blog can be incorporated directly into your website
- WordPress sites look great in all of the major browsers, so you don’t have to worry about compatibility
- Many WordPress themes are mobile-responsive, so your site can be optimized for viewing on mobile devices
- Many free and low-cost plug-ins are available to provide advanced functionality
For WordPress sites, I use the Genesis framework from StudioPress, and build sites starting with their professionally designed premium themes, which we then customize with client branding and design.
Identity Collateral: Although my main focus is website design, I also design compatible identity collateral materials for many of my website clients. These include business cards, letterhead & envelopes, gift certificates, invitations, brochures, flyers, programs, and ads.
If you’re interested in developing a package of materials that all match, I can help you with that. Developing those print materials at the same time as the website can be quite efficient, as many of the content works for multiple items.
Process Collateral: Internal processes and procedures to run your business are essential to a productive work environment. A significant portion of my corporate career focused on process and quality system management, at department, division and worldwide levels. Projects in this area include process evaluation and auditing, process development and documentation, forms and templates, flowcharts, and data mapping.
On occasion, I’m asked by clients to evaluate various options for online tools and/or software applications. This can be especially helpful if the application needs to interface with your website. The result of this work is usually an extensive spreadsheet comparing options, pricing, implementation requirements, features, constraints and timelines.
Previous projects have included evaluation of options for company intranet, internal billing/time-tracking systems, online scheduling tools, and e-commerce systems.